Evidence Based Practices for ASD
Posted on April 13, 2023
Leave a Comment
Several therapies for autism have been shown to be effective through research, including:
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) therapy: ABA is a behaviorally-based therapy that has been shown to be effective in improving social, communication, and behavioral skills in children with autism.
- Early Start Denver Model (ESDM): ESDM is a play-based, developmental therapy that has been shown to be effective in improving social communication and cognitive skills in young children with autism.
- Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS): PECS is a visual communication system that has been shown to be effective in improving communication skills in children with autism who have difficulty with speech.
- Social Stories: Social Stories are short, personalized stories that describe social situations and appropriate behaviors, and have been shown to be effective in improving social and communication skills in children with autism.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): CBT is a therapy that focuses on changing negative thoughts and behaviors, and has been shown to be effective in reducing anxiety and improving adaptive behaviors in individuals with autism.
It’s important to note that not all therapies work for every individual with autism, and that a combination of therapies may be needed for the best outcomes. It’s also important to work with a qualified therapist who is trained in evidence-based practices and who can tailor the therapy to meet the individual needs of the person with autism.